Sunday, July 13, 2008

Meet Chewy Lemonhead & Friends

After weeks of scanning the candy aisles, I finally found Chewy Lemonheads at Rite-Aid! I was seriously on the hunt for these. I once saw a crushed up empty box in a gutter and nearly went crazy trying to figure out where it originated from. I am happy to say that all of the torment was worth it, Chewy Lemonheads are candy magic! Actually, they are called Chewy Lemonhead & Friends because the box includes a chewy assortment of all the "head" candies - Orangehead, Applehead, Grapehead, Cherryhead, and of course, the classic oval-headed dude Lemonhead.

Ferrara Pan, the company responsible for creating Lemonheads was founded by Salvatore Ferrara in 1908 in Chicago, Illinois. Lemonheads were not introduced until 1962. Before that Ferrara Pan was known for creating a variety of sweets like sugar coated almonds and in 1932, they began making cinnamon Red Hots. I think the chewy versions of the "head" family are an excellent way for Ferrara Pan to update a classic. I'm not saying Lemonheads needed updating, I love the crunch of the original version, but I'm also a sucker for the combination of chewy and sour. It is executed really well in the Chewy Lemonheads, and best of all, they still taste exactly like the Lemonheads I know and love. I don't know how they accomplished that, but honestly, they taste exactly like original Lemonheads. All the goodness of the chewy outer layer x2.

My only gripe about this product is that I want a whole box of ONLY Chewy Lemonheads. There were not enough of Lemonheads in the assortment. I like Grapeheads and occasionally buy Cherryheads, but I'm not crazy about Appleheads or Orangeheads and there were a lot of them in the box. An all Chewy Lemonhead box would be ideal. Are you listening Ferrara Pan? We need an all Chewy Lemonhead box. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy- I wan to try these!! Wouldn't chewy Red Hots be great?? I would love that!!! Maybe they will be next

JoAnn said...

I have the next best thing to chewy Red Hots - Chewy Atomic Fireballs! I will write about them next, stay tuned!