Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Twix Java

Admittedly, I am not a coffee drinker. Each morning I wake up with a steamy cup of Earl Grey or English Breakfast tea, but never coffee. I enjoy the smell of coffee, however I just cannot seem to embrace the taste. Going into Starbucks and ordering a tall Vanilla Bean (a blended, non-coffee drink that tastes like a vanilla milkshake), getting strange looks from waitresses when I refuse a cup at breakfast - these things only remind me of my outcast status. Naturally, when I heard about the limited edition Twix Java, I was not as ecstatic as a real coffee lover might be, however I still picked up one up when I spotted it at my local Kmart store.


I am not entirely opposed to coffee-flavored candy. I like the somewhat granny-ish Coffee Nips, and occasionally crave chocolate-covered espresso beans. Unfortunately, I found the coffee flavor in the Twix Java too intense for my taste. The bar consists of coffee-flavored caramel, a chocolate cookie, and the standard milk chocolate coating. The caramel tasted like Folger's crystals were ground up in in it, which may be true judging by it's dark shade of brown. I was also not crazy about the chocolate cookie. I believe the traditional butter cookie is one of the best parts of the regular Twix, and am still puzzled over why the new version of the Twix PB has the inferior chocolate cookie when the old Peanut Butter Twix used to sport the delicious butter cookie. These things keep me up at night.

In order not to be entirely biased against the Twix Java, I had a known coffee addict give it a try and their opinion was that it was too sweet and artificial tasting. I've read other reviews online and most people rave about this new bar. Best thing to do is pick one up and try it for yourself, that is, if you are one of those coffee people.

1 comment:

Yas said...

hey there, I just stumbled across your great blog and thought I'd mention a new site called Freefroot.com. It is a giveaway site, but with cool stuff you actually want! They recently had a Lollyphile and a Papabubble candy giveaway and also a Vere chocolate giveaway.
I also love your blog header, very cool!!