Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Marshmallow Cones


Marshmallow Cones are one of the candies that remind me of when I was a kid. I think I was first introduced to them by my mom, who ate them when she was a kid. They are definitely a "nostalgia" candy. Marpro, the company that makes Marshmallow Cones, was founded in 1936 by John Arbino, a tailor whose livelihood was threatened by the Great Depression. At a time when people did not have a lot of money for fancy clothes, Arbino realized they did have spare change for some penny candy. He started making marshmallow candies in his spare time and became pretty successful. Somewhere in the 1950s the Marshmallow Ice Cream Cone came along, and by the end of the 1970s, Marpro discontinued all other marshmallow products and focused exclusively on the Marshmallow Ice Cream Cone.

What is it about this Marshmallow Cone that has made it last for over 50 years? Well in my humble opinion, I think a lot of their appeal belongs to the fact that they are adorable! I love the small, homemade cone topped by the whip of marshmallow streaked with lovely pastel colors. And what do they taste like? There are two components at work here, the marshmallow and the cone. The marshmallow is very light and airy. Lighter than a Peep or Kraft marshmallow, it melts a little on your tongue at first bite, then turns chewy. The cone kinda tastes like a Holy Communion wafer. In combination with the marshmallow, it's a bit strange but even that won't deter me from buying these cute little cones.

Check out the Marpro website for cool pics of Marshmallow Cones being made: www.marshmallowcone.com

No comments: